Smashed Cucumbers by Max Ng, Director of Culinary at Momofuku
- 1 pound cucumbers
- 5 tsp salt
- 5 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp Sesame oil, 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 large garlic clove
- Chili oil to taste
- 1/2 tbsp POT DʼHUILE oil
- Pinch of ground, roasted Sichuan pepper
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Cut cucumbers into pieces and then lengthwise.
- Lay cucumbers cut side down and smash with blade of cleaver or large knife to separate seeds from the cucumber, slice into bite size pieces.
- Scatter salt and sugar over the cucumbers and set aside for at least 15 minutes while it lightly pickles. Drain excess liquid well.
- Combine all ingredients to make the dressing.
- Toss cucumbers in sauce and serve, garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds.